Technical Support Engineer - graveyard shift
Company: Tesla Motors
Posted on: June 12, 2021
The Technical Support Engineer will provide support for
industrial-scale battery products. This primarily involves,
diagnosing and resolving problems in connection with on-site field
technicians and interacting with construction teams during the
commissioning process. It also involves working with customers and
third-party operators to keep our equipment running along with
supporting system, product, quality and process issues. Reviewing
single line drawings for industrial storage projects especially
Microgrid (which are more challenging than standard on-grid
projects) to identify any execution risks and improvements is also
Additionally, the role will involve improving, supporting and
working with software tools developed by Tesla's internal tools
team. The software tools communicate with Tesla's physical assets
(inverters, meters, gateways, etc.) that monitor the performance of
our distributed photovoltaic and storage systems and allow a
proactive approach to product problem identification and
This position is a graveyard shift position, working 12-hours
shifts, supporting a 24x7 environment. Scheduled shifts are: Sunday
- Wednesday and Wednesday - Saturday. Shift times / coverage will
be based on the business need.
- Investigate why an Industrial Battery System is not working as
expected and establish the repair plan for the system.
- Troubleshoot complex communication problems among inverters,
energy meters, DC battery controls, and central SCADA devices,
often using only command-line tools such as NMAP, traceroute
- Remotely update networking devices to resolve identified issues
and restore operation to the system
- Commission new Industrial Storage Systems for Tesla customers
by configuring them to customer's specifications, updating the
equipment's software and firmware, and validating the end-to-end
operation of the equipment. All this work is performed remotely
using cutting edge tools to eliminate the need for a technician to
visit the site.
- Extract logs from Linux file system and from custom interface
devices via a variety of methods (telnet, sftp, port-mapped web
- Review single line diagrams of Industrial Storage projects,
especially Microgrid to identify any operational risks.
- Support customers and field technicians working with Tesla's
Industrial Storage Products using remote diagnostic tools and
- Manage and resolve customer concerns with Industrial Storage
Products that arise via email and phone calls.
- Report reoccurring quality problems to the design and
- Configure Tesla's controller network settings as per customer's
requirements to enable communications with customer controller and
any meters shared with customer.
- Maintain and update the content and structure of Tesla's
customer and equipment databases
- Develop a deep specialized knowledge of the proprietary tools
developed by Tesla to monitor the Tesla fleet for issues
- Develop, enhance and critique data processing techniques used
by Tesla's internal tools to evaluate performance and find
- Collaborate on design projects and code reviews with
The ideal candidate will have the following skills and
- Experience in 24/7 Graveyard operations is a plus
- Experience in Control Room environment is a plus
- Enthusiasm for green technology, solar and energy conservation
- Experience in a customer service environment.
- Experience and proficiency with the Linux/UNIX programming
- Advanced knowledge in communication systems and protocols such
as TCP/IP, including the tools available at the command line
interface to troubleshoot network communication issues.
- Can interpret complex electrical single line diagrams.
- Advanced skills with Microsoft Excel and/or professional
statistical analysis software.
- Understanding of a technical support environment and processes,
including ability to document case histories clearly, accurately
and with detail. Ability to prioritize workflows effectively
according to multiple criteria. Experience with CRM systems, mobile
case/ticketing systems, bug tracking systems.
- Personal skills suitable for frequent direct contact with
non-technical customers in technical troubleshooting scenarios. A
positive, friendly manner on the phone and in writing is essential,
as well as patience and the ability to instruct and inform during
- Ability to independently make decisions and solve problems with
- Grasps basic concepts of electricity (AC/DC, current, voltage,
resistance, power vs. energy etc.).
- Bachelor's degree is good to have in Engineering or Electrical
or Mechanical engineering.
- Foreign language proficiency a plus.
Keywords: Tesla Motors, Fremont , Technical Support Engineer - graveyard shift, Other , Fremont, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!