Sterile Processing Technician II Certified
Company: Kaiser Permanente
Posted on: May 3, 2021
Under direct/indirect supervision follows approved infection
control, quality assurance and departmental policies and
procedures. Collects, cleans, decontaminates, disinfects and/or
sterilizes surgical instruments, trays and packs, reusable medical
devices and patient care equipment for inpatient Nursing and
Medical Office departments. Inventories, restocks and distributes
instruments, reusable medical equipment and medical supplies to
Medical Center. Works a majority of time in a Sterile Processing
Department cleaning, preparing, assembling, sterilizing, prepare
packs, instruments, and trays for the medical center and/or medical
office building. Will process inpatient operating room instruments.
May assist in departmental in-services and training. Must hold
current CS/SPD Certification with either the Certification Board
for Sterile Processing and Distribution (CBSPD) or The
International Association of Healthcare Central Service Materials
- Infection Control - Standard Precautions: Adherence to
handwashing requirements, workflow patterns, standard precautions,
sterility assurance, biological monitoring, & dress code.
- Quality Assurance Monitoring: Validates & maintains:
event-related protocols; disinfection and/or sterilization load
parameters & records; inventory check sheet(s); & equipment
- Documentation: Meets regulatory requirements for sterilization,
high level disinfection, biological monitoring, & employee
- Accurately document & maintain daily records of all QA &
sterilization functions according to regulatory agency & Infection
- Policies & Procedures: Adheres to Organizational & Departmental
policies & procedures.
- Staff Development: Participate in department employee
orientation (DEO), meetings, & employee evaluation & competency
- Maintains current Sterile Processing Technician
- May assist in departmental inservices & training.
- Decontamination Skills: Wears personal protective
- Inspects, disassembles, sorts, cleans, & processes reusable
instrumentation & equipment.
- Selects & operates specialized cleaning equipment.
- Follows manufacturer recommendations for use of cleaning
- Follows device manufactures cleaning guidelines.
- Maintains adequate cleaning supplies.
- As designated reprocesses endoscopes.
- Instrumentation Assembly 2 Identifies, inspects, & assembles
all general & specialty instruments, various power equipment, laser
& endoscopic instruments per specifications & manufacturer
- Preparation & Packaging: According to manufacturer guidelines,
selects & prepares packaging materials for the sterilization of
- Principles of Sterilization: Selects appropriate method of
- Maintains accurate sterilization records.
- Properly loads & unloads sterilization cart items.
- Verifies that sterilization parameters have been met before
distribution of load.
- Equipment & Supply Mgmt: Collect, clean, check, distribute, &
track patient care equipment.
- As designated, order patient care equipment, inventory assigned
supply areas for replenishment, & rotate stock appropriately &
stocks general & surgical carts.
- Report all malfunctioning equipment to appropriate
- Workplace Safety: Demonstrates awareness of personal & work
area safety at all times.
- Complies w/ facility safety policies & procedures, including
those for bloodborne pathogens & communicable diseases.
- Takes prompt corrective actions when hazard identified
(reporting or removing, as appropriate).
- Attends required safety training.
- Professionalism: Demonstrates effective written & oral
- Actively supports & contributes teamwork in the workplace.
- Takes responsibility & is accountable for own professional work
- Demonstrate responsibility in adhering to posted work
- Assist in inservice & training.
- Supports departmental related computer programs.
- May assume interdepartmental liaison responsibilities.
- In the absence of the Senior Technician, may assume
interdepartmental liaison responsibilities.
- Supervisory Responsibilities: This job has no supervisory
- One (1) year experience in instrument processing.
Licenses, Certifications, Registrations
- Sterile Processing Technician Certification. Must hold current
CS/SPD Certification with either the Certification Board for
Sterile Processing and Distribution (CBSPD) or The International
Association of Healthcare Central Service Materials
- Must know Medical Terminology to understand instrumentation,
surgical procedures, and surgical schedule.
- Must have knowledge of various types of reusable surgical
instrumentation, including power equipment and micro surgical
- Must know how to operate Sterile Processing departmental
equipment (i.e. washers, ultrasonic, steam, gas, and chemical
- Must know cleaning of patient care equipment (i.e. I.V. pumps,
feeding pumps, pneumatic pumps, CPM machines, PCA, and
hypo/hyperthermia units, etc.).
- Must know sterilization monitoring, record keeping, and quality
- Ability to read and comprehend complex instructions,
correspondence, and memos.
- Ability to write simple correspondence.
- Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and
small group situations to customers, clients, and other incumbents
of the organization.
- Must be able to follow verbal and written instructions.
- Must be able to read, comprehend, and follow organizational and
departmental policies and procedures.
- Must have effective oral and written communication skills with
co-workers, internal, and external customers.
- Must be willing to work in a Labor Management Partnership
- Also refer to Position Specifications outlined in the
appropriate collective bargaining agreement.
- Departmental related computer skills.
Primary Location: California,Fremont,Fremont Hospital Scheduled
Weekly Hours: 1 Shift: Day Working Hours Start: 07:00 AM Working
Hours End: 03:00 PM Job Schedule: Call-in/On-Call Job Type:
Standard Employee Status: Regular Employee Group/Union Affiliation:
A01|SEIU|United Healthworkers Job Level: Entry Level Department:
Fremont Hospital - MaterialMgmt-CentralProcessing - 0201 Travel:
Click here for additional requirements >
Share This Job
Keywords: Kaiser Permanente, Fremont , Sterile Processing Technician II Certified, Other , Fremont, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!