Principal Engineer Embedded Software
Company: Abbott Laboratories
Posted on: September 22, 2022
Abbott is a global healthcare leader that helps people live more
fully at all stages of life. Our portfolio of life-changing
technologies spans the spectrum of healthcare, with leading
businesses and products in diagnostics, medical devices,
nutritionals and branded generic medicines. Our 113,000 colleagues
serve people in more than 160 countries.At Abbott, we believe
people with diabetes should have the freedom to enjoy active lives.
That's why we're focused on helping people with diabetes manage
their health more effectively and comfortably, with life-changing
products that provide accurate data to drive better-informed
decisions. We're revolutionizing the way people monitor their
glucose levels with our new sensing technology.Our location in
Alameda, CA, currently has an opportunity for a Principal Engineer
Embedded Software. As a Principal Engineer Embedded Software you
will be a recognized expert in software development with broad
expertise in complete lifecycle management of embedded software
designs, specifically in the areas of new software development,
software maintenance, resolving significant technical issues as
well as providing direction for new software technology/process
development activities that have a broad impact to the company
goals. This includes functional or technical leadership of the
software group or software projects, as well as, providing
technical leadership for application software and firmware designs
and development to be used in medical diagnostic devices (both
class II and III). WHAT YOU'LL DO
- Functional management of software engineering or very senior
technical contributor and may be responsible for staffing and
maintaining the groups high level of technical competence and
- Technical leader responsible for maintaining and enhancing the
high level of technical competence of the Engineering Staff.
- Provide technical leadership in embedded software development
and project scheduling, provide oversight for design integration
and testing and reliably deliver high-quality software within
- Capable of working at high level of performance on projects and
activities that dramatically impacts the business. Participate as
senior engineering representative in product development teams for
development strategies of new products and services.
- Work with external software consultants as required for system
development, algorithm design and project management to deliver on
established project milestones.
- Implement software design efficiently in current programming
languages (C, C, Assembly, etc.) to include use of appropriate
tools and techniques for productivity and code quality: debuggers,
profilers, unit testing, source control, etc.
- Participate in the full life cycle of development, from
specification and design through implementation, testing, and
- Lead the evaluation of new software design tools, software
architectures, microprocessors and algorithms. Coordinating and
working effectively with other departments to provide software
support as needed. EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE YOU'LL BRING
- Bachelor's Degree Engineering or related field with a minimum
of 12 years' experience or an equivalent combination of education
and work experience. 8 years of solid programming experience using
current programming languages (e.g., C, C, Assembly etc),
structured software development and/or Object Modeling Design
experience and in software development of embedded systems for
safety critical products.
- Strong debugging techniques and experience on using debugger
and ICE is required.
- Strong working knowledge of the principles of quality software
engineering as described by software lifecycle development
processes that are consistent with ISO, IEEE, or other FDA
- Experience in Source Control Management is required.
- Excellent knowledge of general software engineering principles
and troubleshooting skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills are
- Masters Degree or PhD in Engineering or related field
- Experience on multitasking in RTOS, real-time software design
and development is highly preferable.
- Experience of using UML is preferable.
- Knowledgeable on device driver and low level device interface
design and development is a plus.
- Knowledgeable on microprocessor architecture is a strong
- Excellent knowledge and experience in Communications design and
test using Bluetooth Low Energy, Wi-Fi, NFC, TCP/IP, USB or
equivalent is a plusWHAT WE OFFER At Abbott, you can have a good
job that can grow into a great career. We offer:
- Training and career development, with onboarding programs for
new employees and tuition assistance
- Financial security through competitive compensation, incentives
and retirement plans
- Health care and well-being programs including medical, dental,
vision, wellness and occupational health programs
- Paid time off
- 401(k) retirement savings with a generous company match
- The stability of a company with a record of strong financial
performance and history of being actively involved in local
communitiesLearn more about our benefits that add real value to
your life to help you live fully: Follow your career aspirations to
Abbott for diverse opportunities with a company that provides the
growth and strength to build your future. Abbott is an Equal
Opportunity Employer, committed to employee diversity.Connect with
us at , on Facebook at and on
Keywords: Abbott Laboratories, Fremont , Principal Engineer Embedded Software, IT / Software / Systems , Fremont, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!